Smoothies and Protein shakes are a regular part of my diet. They are easy to make, packed full of nutrients and are great snacks or meal replacements when on the go. I have put together a list of ingredients I use in each and every smoothie I make. Each one of these ingredients provides great health and nutritional benefits.
My top 5 Smoothie ingredients!
- Chia – these tiny little treasures are among the most nutritious foods on the planet. They are packed full of fiber, Omega-3 fatty acids and various other micronutrients.
- Kale – I purchase kale in large quantities and freeze it for easy use. In 1 cup of kale you will find nearly 3 grams of protein, 2.5 grams of fiber (to help manage blood sugar and provide that feeling of fullness), Vitamins (A,C and K), Folate (great for the brain), and Alpha-linolenic acid ( an omega-3 fatty acid ).
- Fresh fruit – My mood each day and what fruits I have on hand will play a big role in what I select for my smoothie each day. Most fruit is naturally low in fat and calories, they also provide great sources of potassium, fiber, Vitamin C and folate.
- Almond milk – I choose to use Almond milk as I prefer the taste and it fits with my diet and lifestyle. Almond milk and Soy are both great substitutes for those with a dairy allergy or lactose intolerance.
- Protein powder – With such a great selection of powders available on the market, everyone should be able to find the right one to meet their needs. Not only does Protein powder provide the obvious, but most include amino acids wich serve as building blocks to increase muscle growth.
Please leave me comments below, I would love to hear from you, what do you put in your smoothies? What protein powder do you like?