There’s nothing better than being able to enjoy locally grown hand-picked fresh fruit. Because of where I live, there are many fruits and vegetables readily available to me from local farms right on the side of the road. Cherries are among my favorite fruits to buy in the summer months. With such a variety of cherries grown here in Canada, some wich are sweet (mostly eaten raw) and others sour (often baked into crisps and pies) everyone is sure to enjoy their taste. In addition, these delicious super fruits are packed full of all the antioxidants and nutrients we need for living a healthy lifestyle. I am going to share all the reasons why, I try to include cherries in my diet everyday.
5 AMAZING HEALTH BENEFITS OF CHERRIES:
1. Help improve your sleep – They offer a source of food melatonin, a naturally occurring hormone that helps to regulate the body’s sleep.
2. Help improve your eyesight – Sour cherries have 19x the amount of beta-carotene found in blueberries, wich helps support good eyesight and healthy skin.
3. Help protect and prevent colon cancer – This super fruit also contains quercetin, a flavonoid with anti-carcinogenic properties.
4. Help lower your cholesterol – They contain high amounts of pectin’a, wich helps prevent heart disease by lowering ‘bad’ cholesterol.
5. Help reduce muscle and joint pain – Antioxidants that make up the rich red colour in cherries help to reduce inflammation.
I am lucky enough to live down the street from several major cherry orchards where I can pick up fresh-picked fruit through out the summer months. I like to keep a small amount of fresh cherries on hand in the fridge for snacking. But I mostly like to freeze them so I can add them into my daily smoothies. Sometimes I just enjoy them frozen as a cold sweet treat . Check out one of my favorite cherry smoothies here!