To maintain good health, it is important to keep moving and stay active throughout the day. But, for those of us who have jobs keeping us at our desks all day, this can sometimes seem like a daunting task.
It has been proven that sitting for long periods of time has become one of the major risk factors for poor health. Overtime this inactivity is leading to an increased risk of heart disease, cancer, diabetes and obesity.
So I think it’s in everyone’s best interest to get up and get moving – even while we’re at work. There are plenty of ways to become more active in the workplace. Here are just a few of my ideas to get you started.
Tips for Staying Active at the Office
1. PARK FARTHER AWAY – If you drive, resist the urge to score the parking space closest to the front door. Try picking a spot further away instead. Then you can enjoy a brisk little walk before and after your shift.
2. WALK MORE – Feeling a bit antsy? Try walking around the block on your lunch break. Get out and get some fresh air to clear your mind. Try walking next time you grab coffee or pick up your lunch instead of hopping in your car. Always take the stairs and avoid elevators whenever possible. *throw a pair of flats in your bag so you can walk comfortably (and longer too).
3. STRETCH OFTEN – Sitting still all day is very hard on your bones, muscles and joints. So if you are going to be stuck at your desk all day, incorporate regular stretching to break up your day a bit. Try some simple stretches. These stretches will help release the tension in your neck, shoulders and back. You might even burn a few calories too.
4. DITCH THE CHAIR – Ditch the ordinary chair and sit on an exercise ball instead. Sitting on an exercise ball will force your body to make small adjustments throughout the course of the day in order to maintain balance. Therefore providing a workout for your muscles and strengthening your core.
5. GET UP EVERY HOUR – Write your self a sticky note or set a digital alarm to remind you to get up and get moving. Try using the photocopier farthest away from you, or communicate with colleagues face to face rather than sending them an email.
Another great tip for staying on track at the office is never skip breakfast. Skipping breakfast is a big no-no ! Eating a meal in the first couple hours of waking up, helps boost your metabolism . If you eat breakfast regualrlily before heading to the office, you are less likely to desire those unhealthy fatty foods come lunch time. If you are short on time in the morning try making a quick smoothie that you can take to go! You can try one of my favourite smoothies recipes here!
*feature image by Fisher Photostudio
*post image by Alexandrulucian